Take a step back.
As an account executive, it’s very easy to get caught up in the high volume of work. With tight timelines, it’s not uncommon for your focus to transition from ‘doing what's right’ to just ‘getting it out the door on time.'
Emails, voicemails, meetings – when it rains, it pours. When you get that overwhelming feeling that your to-do list is impossible to get done on time, just know that IT WILL GET DONE. But this time, you will get it done with a new mentality.
Don’t work faster - work smarter. Be organized. Prioritize. And focus. A clear mind is an efficient mind.
Sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back. While deadlines are important, rushing rarely ever causes you to complete the task quicker. It only leads to mistakes and oversights.
Get back to doing what is right.
Think about it, question it, and recommend it to the client. In the long run, clients will appreciate strategy and proper guidance. Any agency or vendor can complete tasks on time (while becoming a factory), but not all agencies can deliver an effective strategy.
So here’s my advice. When things are getting crazy.
- Go for a walk.
- Get some fresh air.
- Turn your cell phone off during the evening.
- Listen to some music.
- Grab a cup of coffee (decaf may be best).
- Chat for a few minutes with a coworker.
- Take a vacation day.
- Get away from the office.
Sometimes, all it takes to get the answer is to let the answer come to you. Turn your brain off for a bit — it will do you well.
Don’t want to turn your brain off all the way? Here’s my “Reboot” Playlist.
The links lead to YouTube videos so you can listen now :
- ‘Wild Fire’ by John Mayer
- ‘Soul Refreshing’ by Robert Randolph
- ‘Doin’ it Right’ by Daft Punk
- ‘Sweet Nothing’ by Calvin Harris
- ‘You Got The Love’ by Swedish House Mafia
- ‘Red Light’ by Jonny Lang
- ‘The Wanderer’ by Marc Broussard
- ‘Wake Me Up’ by Avicii
- ‘Redemption Song’ by Bob Marley
- ‘Beneath Your Beautiful’ by Labrinth